Tuesday 3 June 2014

The Stanley Parable


A couple of weeks ago, my boyfriend bought me this game. He got it in the Steam sale for £4.99 I think but it is currently £9.99.

This game isn't like many other games. You begin in an office room, facing a computer like the one you see in the picture, and you basically perform the actions that the narrator tells you to. There are choices though, for example, when you come to a room with two open doors the narrator tells you to take the door on the left but you have free roam within the game and you can go right if you want to (if you don't mind the narrator telling you off and being sarcastic). 

I think this game is more about human curiosity and behaviour than anything. It would make a very good social experiment, to see how many people obeyed the narrator, one that doesn't have a face to his voice, and if they did obey him, for how long they did so.

The narrator is hilarious. I don't think I've ever actually laughed at a game as much as I did at this and it was very amusing disobeying his orders to see what he would say.
The game is very short if you play as you are told until the end, but there are a number of different endings and various things you can change on each run, so the replay-ability is good.

I definitely recommend the game if you just want to have a laugh and a play about for a while, but if you hate repetitive gameplay then it is really not for you! Also, achievement hunters may find it a little frustrating as there is an achievement that the game says is impossible to get, and after reading up on it, it seems like the developers alter the way that this achievement is gained via updates! Which I think is pretty cool.

Let me know what you think of the game, or if you have played anything similar in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment