Monday 5 May 2014

Morrisons: what are they doing?!

So for my first business related post, I'll be talking about Morrisons and whatever the hell they're doing lately.

So basically, after terrible financial performance they decided to change their strategy to try and compete with the ever popular 'budget' supermarkets such as Aldi. Now, Aldi has had a lot of success lately, being named best supermarket of the year quite a few times. It has also started to bring in more and more big brand products at low costs. Naturally they are the 'top dog' in their market segment. So why on earth are Morrisons attempting to compete with them?

Morrisons are stuck in the middle, they can't compete with the 'big' supermarkets (Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's), and they can't compete with the budget supermarkets (Aldi and Lidl). All other supermarkets are well established within their own market segment, so what is going to persuade anyone to move to Morrisons. I can tell you what won't....













(Picture taken from The Guardian online)

I would sack whoever came up with this. I personally think it is ridiculous. Also, is it even legal to advertise on a piece of art? Surely not.

And while we're talking about sacking people, whoever came up with the advert slogan 'Love them cheaper' should be sacked as well. Not only is it really annoying when every other advert you see during the Britain's Got Talent breaks says it, to me that says that the product is on offer, not permanently cheaper.
If I'm honest, I don't think they've started off with their change in strategy very well. We'll be able to see if what they're doing now is working in about 6-12 months. Until then, I'm afraid don't have that much hope, sorry Morrisons.


No comments:

Post a Comment